Pan-Seared Chicken & Barley
with Creamy Mushroom Sauce & Roasted Carrots
It’s like having Sunday supper any day of the week! Tender chicken cutlets are dusted in a savory spice blend, pan-fried and topped with a rich and creamy sauce that’s packed with earthy mushrooms. Served up with a side of pleasantly chewy barley and caramelized carrots. You won’t have to call ‘em twice to the dinner table for this one!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
White Wine Vinegar
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. • Bring ½ cup barley (1 cup for 4 servings; save the rest for another use), half the Fry Seasoning (you’ll use the rest later), 3 cups water (5 cups for 4), and a big pinch of salt to a boil in a small pot. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until tender, 30-32 minutes. • Reserve ¼ cup barley cooking liquid (1⁄3 cup for 4), then drain and return to pot.
• While barley cooks, wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrots on a diagonal into ½-inch-thick pieces. Trim and thinly slice mushrooms (skip if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!).
• Toss carrots on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil. Season with half the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until tender, 20-25 minutes.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms in an even layer; season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, undisturbed, until lightly browned on one side, 2-3 minutes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 2-3 minutes more. • Turn off heat. Transfer to a cutting board; wash out pan.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels and season all over with remaining Fry Seasoning, salt, and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for mushrooms over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. TIP: If chicken begins to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium and cover. • Turn off heat. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil. Wash out pan and let cool slightly.
• While chicken cooks, whisk together cream cheese, half the vinegar (all for 4 servings), half the chicken stock concentrates, remaining garlic powder, and reserved barley cooking liquid in a medium bowl. (It’s OK if there are lumps—the cream cheese will melt when it cooks.) • Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop mushrooms; stir into the cream cheese mixture. • Add cream cheese mixture to pan used for chicken and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened, 1-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings). Taste and season with salt and pepper. TIP: Add a splash of warm water if sauce seems too thick.
• Add veggie stock concentrate and remaining chicken stock concentrates to pot with barley; stir to combine. • Slice chicken crosswise. • Divide barley, chicken, and carrots between plates. Spoon mushroom sauce over chicken and serve.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165º.