Shawarma-Spiced Tofu & Mushroom Bowls
with Apricot Turmeric Rice, White Sauce & Hot Sauce
We swoon for ’shroom shawarma! For this veggie-centric spin, we swap traditional spit-roasted meat for sautéed mushrooms, onion, and tofu (but keep all the aromatic, warming spices). It’s served over lemony apricot-studded yellow rice seasoned with turmeric and sprinkled with cilantro. One of our favorite parts about shawarma is the condiment selection, and we didn’t skimp there! Drizzle hot sauce and a creamy, garlicky vegan white sauce over the top, and prepare to be totally bowled over with bold flavors!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Shawarma Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Trim and thinly slice mushrooms (skip if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!). Halve, peel, and cut onion into 1-inch-thick wedges. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Roughly chop cilantro. Quarter lemon. • Open and drain tofu; press out excess water with paper towels. Halve crosswise, then stand tofu upright and halve vertically. Lay flat and cut into ¾-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a small pot, combine rice, 1¼ cups water (2¼ cups for 4 servings), one packet of stock concentrate (two packets for 4), ¼ tsp turmeric (½ tsp for 4), and a pinch of salt. (Be sure to measure the turmeric—we sent more!) • Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to use in Step 5.
• While rice cooks, heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, undisturbed, until lightly browned on bottom, 2-3 minutes. • Add another drizzle of oil, mushrooms, onion, half the Shawarma Spice Blend (all for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are softened and tofu is evenly browned, 2-3 minutes more. • Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. • Stir in ½ cup water (¾ cup for 4) and remaining stock concentrates. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, 1-2 minutes.
• While tofu mixture cooks, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic powder. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in apricots, half the cilantro, and juice from two lemon wedges (four wedges for 4 servings). • Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in more lemon juice if desired.
• Divide rice between shallow bowls. Top with tofu and veggies. Drizzle with white sauce and as much hot sauce as you like. • Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.