Barley is the OG. It’s one of the earliest domesticated grains, yet its chewy texture and nutty flavor are still a favorite. In these spicy veggie bowls, our chefs opted for quick-cooking pearled barley as a hearty base for harissa-roasted zucchini, bell pepper, and onion. A classic chermoula and lemon yogurt are drizzled over top, then everything’s sprinkled with feta, toasted almonds, and golden raisins. If you like, mix everything together for barley in every bite!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Sliced Almonds(ContainsTree Nuts)
Veggie Stock Concentrate
• Adjust rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 425 degrees. • In a small pot, combine barley, 21⁄2 cups water (4 cups for 4), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until barley is tender and water has absorbed, 25-30 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to use in step 6. TIP: If you end up with any excess water, simply pour it out. Alternatively, if water evaporates before barley is done, add a splash of water.
• Wash and dry produce. • Trim and halve zucchini lengthwise; slice crosswise into 1⁄2-inch-thick half-moons. Halve, core, and thinly slice bell pepper. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Zest and quarter lemon. Pick cilantro leaves from stems; finely chop leaves.
• Toss zucchini, bell pepper, and onion on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, 3⁄4 tsp harissa powder (1 1⁄2 tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. (Be sure to measure the harissa powder—we sent more! Use less if you prefer less heat.) • Roast on top rack until veggies are tender and browned, 15-18 minutes. (For 4, divide between 2 baking sheets; roast on top and middle racks.)
• In a small bowl, combine yogurt and a big pinch of lemon zest. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper. • In a separate small bowl, combine cilantro, 1 1⁄2 TBSP olive oil, 1⁄4 tsp garlic powder (you’ll use the rest later), a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of chili flakes to taste (use 3 TBSP olive oil and 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a small, dry pan over medium-high heat. Add almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
• Drain any excess water from barley if necessary; fluff with a fork. Stir in stock concentrates, raisins, remaining garlic powder, a squeeze of lemon juice, and as much remaining lemon zest as you like. Season with salt and pepper. • Stir half the roasted veggies into pot with barley. • Divide barley mixture between bowls; top with remaining veggies, feta, and almonds. Drizzle with lemon yogurt and chermoula. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges and remaining chili flakes on the side.