Sure, you could have plain chicken for dinner—but why not dig into this warmly-spiced version that’s smothered in tangy apricot pan sauce instead? Here, we season the chicken with a Turkish spice blend of cumin, garlic, coriander, allspice, and chili flakes, then serve it with a jammy, buttery apricot sauce and pair it all with spicy harissa-roasted carrots and almond-studded rice. You’d be chicken not to try it.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Turkish Spice Blend
Chicken Stock Concentrate
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrots into sticks (like fries; ours were 3 inches long and 1⁄3 inch thick). Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lemon.
• Toss carrots on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, ¼ tsp harissa powder (½ tsp for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt and pepper. (Be sure to measure the harissa powder—we sent more.) TIP: For easy cleanup, line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper before adding the carrots. • Roast on top rack until lightly browned and tender, 15-20 minutes. TIP: Give the carrots a taste after roasting and add a pinch more harissa powder if you like things spicy.
• Meanwhile, heat a small, dry pot over medium-high heat. Add almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, 2-4 minutes. Turn off heat; transfer to a small bowl. Wipe out pot. • Melt 1 TBSP butter in same pot over medium-high heat. Add half the scallion whites and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 1 minute. • Stir in rice and ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings); season with salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season all over with half the Turkish Spice (all for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer chicken to a plate to rest. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in same pan over medium heat. Add remaining scallion whites; cook, stirring, until softened, 1 minute. • Stir in jam, stock concentrate, ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings), and a squeeze of lemon juice. Simmer until thickened, 3-5 minutes more. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4) until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper. TIP: Stir in a splash more water if sauce seems too thick.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in toasted almonds and lemon zest to taste. Season with salt and pepper. • Divide chicken, rice, and carrots between plates. Spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with scallion greens and serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.