Vegan Sweet Potato Cakes
with Lime-Pickled Onion, Guacamole, Rice & Beans
Fresh out of vegan dinner ideas? We got you! Try these smoky, Mexican-spiced black bean and sweet potato cakes that are crispy on the outside, sweet and tender on the inside, and studded with zingy red onion. Shallow-fry them until crisp and golden and serve over a fluffy mound of rice and beans. Dollop with guacamole, and finish with a tangy tangle of lime-pickled onion, a drizzle of hot sauce, and a shower of cilantro. Keep us in your back pocket, and you’ll never run out of recipe ideas!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Mexican Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Peel and dice sweet potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Halve, peel, and thinly slice half the onion; finely dice remaining half. Drain and rinse beans. Halve lime.
• In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine sweet potatoes, diced onion, half the Mexican Spice Blend, ¼ cup panko, 1 tsp water (all the Mexican Spice Blend, ½ cup panko, and 2 tsp water for 4 servings), and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; microwave until fork-tender, 4-6 minutes. • When sweet potatoes are done, mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Allow to cool slightly.
• While sweet potatoes cook, in a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork; stir in beans and ¼ tsp salt. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, in a small bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from whole lime (both limes for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Set aside to pickle until ready to serve.
• Form sweet potato mixture into six ½-inch-tall patties (12 patties for 4 servings). • Place remaining panko in a shallow dish; press each patty into panko until coated on all sides. • Heat a 1⁄3-inch layer of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot enough that a pinch of panko sizzles when added to the pan, gently add patties (it’s OK if they fall apart a little!). Cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. TIP: Don’t crowd the pan! You may need to work in batches. Lower heat if browning too quickly. • Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate; season immediately with salt.
• Roughly chop cilantro; stir into bowl with pickled onion. • Divide rice and beans between shallow bowls. Serve sweet potato cakes on one side and pickled onion (draining first), guacamole, and as much hot sauce as you like on the other side.