We’re big fans of the ubiquitous grain bowl, but we have to admit: This one’s extra special. It’s a one-bowl feast that’s positively bursting with Middle Eastern-inspried flavors. The base is a lemony bulgur salad with cucumber, tomato, scallions, cilantro, and feta. On top, there’s harissa-spiced chicken and a drizzle of creamy feta sauce. It doesn’t get much better than this!
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
• Wash and dry all produce. • Zest and quarter lemon. Trim and finely dice cucumber. Finely dice tomato. Trim and thinly slice scallions. Finely chop cilantro.
• In a small pot, combine bulgur, 1 cup water, ½ tsp harissa powder (you’ll use more later), and ½ tsp salt. (For 4 servings, use 2 cups water, 1 tsp harissa powder, and 1 tsp salt.) Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until water has absorbed and bulgur is tender, 12-15 minutes. • Keep covered off heat.
• Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, 2 TBSP feta (4 TBSP for 4 servings), and a large drizzle of olive oil. (You’ll use the remaining feta later.) Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Season all over with ½ tsp harissa powder (1 tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. (Use more harissa powder if you like things spicy.) • Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a medium pan (use a large pan for 4) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. TIP: If chicken begins to brown too quickly, lower heat to medium. • Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice crosswise.
• Meanwhile, squeeze juice from half the lemon into a large bowl. Whisk in lemon zest, 2 TBSP olive oil, and ¼ tsp salt. (For 4 servings, use juice from 1 whole lemon, 4 TBSP olive oil, and ½ tsp salt.) • If necessary, drain any excess water from cooked bulgur; stir bulgur into bowl with dressing along with cucumber, tomato, scallions, half the cilantro, and remaining feta. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Divide tabbouleh between bowls or plates. Top with chicken. Drizzle with feta sauce and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.