Sometimes you just need a little curry to spice up your week—and for those times, our chefs have your back. Tonight, they spiced up not one, not two, but THREE components of this meal with curry spices: curried chicken, curry rice with golden raisins, and lemon curry sauce. Together with pickled red cabbage, these curried chicken bowls pack flavor into every bite.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Shredded Red Cabbage
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add ¼ tsp curry powder (½ tsp for 4 servings); cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds (you’ll use more curry powder later). • Stir in rice, stock concentrate, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), and salt (we used ¼ tsp; ½ tsp for 4). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, wash and dry produce. • Zest and quarter lemon (for 4 servings, zest one lemon and quarter both). Roughly chop cilantro.
• In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine juice from half the lemon, 2 TBSP water (4 TBSP for 4 servings), and 2 tsp sugar (4 tsp for 4). Stir in cabbage; season with salt and pepper. Microwave for 1 minute. Add juice from remaining lemon and a big pinch of salt. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve. • In a small bowl, combine sour cream, yogurt, ¼ tsp curry powder (½ tsp for 4), and a pinch of lemon zest to taste (you’ll use the rest of the curry powder in the next step). Season with salt. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season all over with salt, pepper, and remaining curry powder. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. TIP: If chicken begins to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium. • During the last minute of cooking, reduce heat to medium and stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) until melted. Spoon butter over chicken. • Turn off heat; transfer to a cutting board to rest.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in raisins, 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings), ¼ tsp salt (½ tsp for 4), and remaining lemon zest to taste.
• Drain cabbage; stir in half the cilantro. • Thinly slice chicken crosswise. • Divide rice between bowls; top with chicken and cabbage. Drizzle chicken with sauce and garnish with remaining cilantro. Serve.