We’re all about chimichurri these days. Why, you ask? Well, mystery asker, it’s bright, tangy, herbaceous, and oh so versatile. Cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeño provide punchy flavors that lift everything they touch to new delicious heights. This week, the magical sauce is drizzled over Southwest-spiced chicken, which we serve over a jumble of tender black beans and roasted veggies, then top with tangy pickled onion. The flavors are so harmonious that once you take a bite, you may find it impossible to put your fork down.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Southwest Spice Blend
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Dice sweet potato into ½-inch pieces. Halve, peel, and cut half the onion into ½-inch-thick wedges; thinly slice remaining onion. Slice ¾ of the jalapeño into ½-inch-thick rounds; mince remaining jalapeño. (TIP: Remove ribs and seeds first if you prefer less heat.) Halve lime. Mince cilantro. Drain and rinse beans, then pat dry with paper towels.
• In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato, onion wedges, and sliced jalapeño with a drizzle of oil, half the Southwest Spice (you’ll use the rest later), salt, and pepper. Spread veggies out on a baking sheet. • Roast on top rack until tender 20-25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine juice from half the lime, salt, ½ tsp sugar, and 1 TBSP water. (For 4 servings, use 1 tsp sugar and 2 TBSP water.) Stir in sliced onion. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute. • In a separate small bowl, combine 1 tsp pickling liquid from onion (2 tsp for 4), a large drizzle of oil, and a squeeze of lime juice to taste. Stir in cilantro and a pinch of minced jalapeño to taste. Season generously with salt.
• Once veggies have roasted 15 minutes, pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Season all over with remaining Southwest Spice, salt, and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Transfer to a cutting board.
• Heat another drizzle of oil in same pan over medium heat. Add chili powder and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Add beans and 1-2 TBSP water; season with salt and pepper. Cook until beans are warmed through, 3-5 minutes. • Stir in roasted veggies and season with salt and pepper.
• Thinly slice chicken crosswise. • Divide roasted veggie and black bean jumble between plates. Top with sliced chicken and drizzle with chimichurri. Garnish with as much pickled onion (draining first) as you like. Cut any remaining lime into wedges and serve on the side.