Turkish-Spiced Chicken in Apricot Sauce
with Lemon Almond Rice & Harissa-Roasted Carrots
Sure, you could have plain chicken for dinner—but why not dig into this warmly spiced version that’s smothered in tangy apricot pan sauce instead? Here, we season the chicken with a Turkish spice blend of cumin, garlic, coriander, allspice, and chili flakes, then serve it with a jammy, buttery apricot sauce and pair it all with sweet-smoky-tangy harissa-roasted carrots and almond-studded rice.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Turkish Spice Blend
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrots into sticks (like fries; ours were 3 inches long and 1⁄3 inch thick). Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lemon.
• Toss carrots on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, ¼ tsp harissa powder (½ tsp for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt and pepper. (Be sure to measure the harissa powder—we sent more.) TIP: For easy cleanup, line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper before adding the carrots. • Roast on top rack until lightly browned and tender, 15-20 minutes. TIP: Give the carrots a taste after roasting and add a pinch more harissa powder if you like things spicy.
• Meanwhile, heat a small dry pot over medium-high heat. Add almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, 2-4 minutes. Turn off heat; transfer to a small bowl. Wipe out pot. • Heat a drizzle of oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add half the scallion whites and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 1 minute. • Stir in rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season all over with half the Turkish Spice Blend (all for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer chicken to a plate to rest. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in same pan over medium heat. Add remaining scallion whites; cook, stirring, until softened, 1 minute. • Stir in jam, stock concentrate, ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings), and a squeeze of lemon juice. Simmer until thickened, 3-5 minutes more. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4) until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper. TIP: Stir in a splash more water if sauce seems too thick.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in toasted almonds and lemon zest to taste. Season with salt and pepper. • Divide chicken, rice, and carrots between plates. Spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with scallion greens and serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165º.