Creamy Tomato-Garlic Chicken Curry
with Turmeric Rice, Potatoes & Carrot from Chef Sahni
We’ve partnered with award-winning Indian chef Surbhi Sahni and her women-owned restaurant Tagmo for a delicious Indian curry to celebrate the vibrant flavors of Asian Heritage Month. Thanks to Chef Sahni, you’ll learn to make this simple, satisfying dinner right in your own kitchen. Sour cream-marinated chicken is simmered in a creamy spiced tomato sauce made with onion, garlic, garam masala, turmeric, and cilantro. It’s served over fragrant turmeric basmati rice with a crispy, tangy jumble of potatoes, onion, and carrots on the side.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Peel and mince or grate garlic. Halve and peel onion; dice half into 1-inch pieces and grate the other half on the largest holes of a box grater. Roughly chop cilantro. Peel and dice potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Trim, peel, and dice carrot into 1-inch pieces. Quarter lemon.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels and cut into 1-inch pieces. • In a medium bowl, combine chicken, half the sour cream, ½ tsp sugar, and ½ tsp salt (1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp salt for 4 servings). Stir to coat chicken; set aside to marinate.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat (large pot for 4 servings). Stir in garlic, grated onion, garam masala, ¼ tsp turmeric (½ tsp for 4), a pinch of salt and pepper, and as many chili flakes as you like. (You’ll use more turmeric later.) Cook, stirring, until golden brown and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. TIP: Add a few splashes of water if onion starts to brown too quickly. • Add tomato paste and ½ cup water (1 cup for 4). Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a medium simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, 10-12 minutes. TIP: When sauce is ready to have chicken added, a light sheen of oil will rise to the top. • Stir in chicken with marinade and cilantro; simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While chicken is cooking, in a small pot (medium pot for 4 servings), combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), ½ tsp turmeric (1 tsp for 4), and a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While chicken and rice cook, in a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes, carrot, and 1 tsp salt (2 tsp for 4 servings). Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until potatoes and carrot are tender, 6 minutes.
• In a large pan, heat a drizzle of oil and ½ TBSP butter (1 TBSP for 4 servings) over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and carrot, diced onion, half the mustard (all for 4), remaining turmeric, and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown and have formed a crust, 8-10 minutes. • Squeeze juice from one lemon wedge (juice from two wedges for 4) over potatoes and carrot. Taste and season with salt if needed.
• Stir remaining sour cream into curry. • Fluff rice with a fork. • Divide rice, curry, and potatoes and carrot between plates or bowls. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.