Chicken is always a weeknight winner. It’s satisfying, speedy, and so versatile—which is why our chefs are always brainstorming new ways to take it to the next level. This week, they went all out by searing cutlets to juicy perfection, then drizzling ‘em with a glossy cherry jam and fresh thyme pan sauce. On the side, there’s roasted green beans plus sour cream and scallion mashed potatoes (perfect for catching any runaway sauce). You’d be chicken not to try it.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Chicken Stock Concentrate
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Strip thyme leaves from stems; chop leaves until you have 1 tsp. • 4 SERVINGS: Chop thyme leaves until you have 2 tsp.
• Place potatoes in a medium pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Reserve ½ cup potato cooking liquid, then drain and return potatoes to pot. • Mash with sour cream, 2 TBSP butter, half the scallion greens, salt, and pepper until smooth and creamy, adding splashes of reserved potato cooking liquid as needed. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 4 TBSP butter.
• While potatoes cook, toss green beans on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast on top rack until tender and lightly charred, 12-15 minutes.
• While green beans roast, pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season generously all over with salt and pepper. • Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. Turn off heat; transfer to a plate. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and chopped thyme; cook 1 minute. • Stir in stock concentrate, jam, and ¼ cup plain water. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1/3 cup plain water and 2 TBSP butter.
• Divide chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans between plates. Top chicken with sauce. Sprinkle potatoes and chicken with remaining scallion greens and serve. • TIP: If necessary, rewarm mashed potatoes over low heat with a splash of reserved potato cooking liquid for 1-2 minutes before serving.